ISUZU TRUCK MECHANIC PROBLEM

1989 Isuzu Truck • 172,000 miles

I just had the timing belt an water pump replaced, the PVC valve unclogged, the crankcase breathing tube replaced, and cam and crankshaft front oil seals replaced in my 1989 Isuzu pickup. It now barely has enough power to get up a very slight incline and backfires a lot. I was told by the mechanic that one of the valve springs is broken and my truck needs a valve job; however, it had power in the low gears before I took it in to the mechanic. Any idea what the cause may be?

Hav it rechecked to seeif the timing belt has jumped or not installed correctly it is possible the valve spring could have broken though.

Thanks for your response. I had already mentioned that the mechanic said the valve spring was broken. Yesterday, when I drove the truck, it seemed better; however, it's still backfiring in the lower gears. Do you still think the problem is the timing belt?

Thanks for your response.

Maryalicetruck
It cold be but short out each cylinder to see which one is causing the backfire. But if the belt is off then the timing wil be off as well. It cold be a bad plug or plug wire as well though or even a distributor cap if you have one. Check that stuff first.

OK, thanks very much for getting back to me so quickly!

Maryalicetruck