RUNNING STRANGE

1989 Honda Prelude • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 190,000 miles

Here it goes, on any given day I start my 1989 Honda Prelude (Carb)2.0. It starts right away and starts misfiring for a min or two (idle). After a couple min at most, the misfire goes away (or I think it goes away) and the rpm shoots up to 2400 rpms. It will idle like this for about 8 min and the idle will slowly drop down and run fine with no rough idle.

But recently it has a very hard time starting. About once every few days it has a hard time firing. I can hear the fuel pump priming, and I can smell gas.

I'm assuming the thermostat is stuck open because my coolant temp hangs low while driving. And coolant temp rises at idle. I plan on doing a good tune up as soon as the weather gets warmer. Any help would be great!

Ltdesp

First check for any fuel leaks. And when you smell gas, see if you can locate the source. Could be from the tail pipe, but you want to check engine compartment and under the car. Usually when you smell gas inside the cabin, it's coming from the engine compartment.

Check the vacuum line at the fuel pressure regulator located on the fuel rail with the injectors. Pull the line and smell/feel for gas. If there's any, replace it. Also, check fuel pressure. And pull the line with engine running. If pressure doesn't increase by at least 5 psi, replace the FPR.

Ernest Clark