I HAVE AN 89 CHEVY THAT I TRIED TO REBUILD BECAUSE OF A LEAK IN THE GASKET.

1989 GMC C2500 • 130,000 miles

I have an 89 chevy c2500 that I tried to rebuild because of a leak in the gasket. It is my first time rebuilding an engine and for some reason it wont start (go figure). I have spark and I can see the gas running into the carb. Also it seems struggle cranking over when I try to start it almost as if the serpentine belt was too tight.
Chefevan

What motor? How much of a rebuild did you do?

Fixitmr
350 5.7, I had to replace the gaskets so all the way to the headers

Chefevan
So a top end rebuild is what you did, heads/intake. If crankover is fighting back timing is probably off. Did you try squirting some gas in carb and turning distributor?

Fixitmr
I did the gas spits back out, the person that took the distributor out didnt mark the spot so not sure if its positioned right and not sure if the rocker arms were adjusted correctly. Would the crankshaft have anything to do with that?

Chefevan
Your valve and ignition timing is off-

How do I adjust the v

Chefevan
Alves, and is there any other way to set the timing then by just turning it around 180?

Chefevan
So if you decided to do this job you did it with no instructions to go by? Like go to library and read a book?

Fixitmr
Read a book, thanks a lot ****hole.

Chefevan
All we trying to do here is get more information from you so that we know what directions to approach your problem -You choose to comeback with your filthy mouth-Good Luck seeking for a fast fix-I doubt you'll get it