CHEVROLET CAPRICE STEERING PROBLEM

1989 Chevrolet Caprice • 59,000 miles

1989 Chevrolet Caprice Cop Car V8. I just had to have the steering column completely replaced and I am getting used to it, but the steering is only straight if it is slightly turned to the right. When centered the steering drifts left. I am wondering if I need an alignment or if the new steering wheel is just like that. Thank you.

THIS IS JUST A "THING"

IF YOU'VE NOT EVER ALIGNED THE CAR---IT'D BE A GOOD IDEA ANYWAY

THE OFFSET STEERING WHEEL IS NOTHING MORE THAN AN ADJUSTMENT, WHICH DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE WHEELS BEING PARALLEL

USUALLY THE ALIGNMENT SHOP WILL "HOOK" THE STEERING WHEEL AND HOLD IT IN PLACE, THEN ADJUST BOTH WHEELS SIMULTANEOUSLY TO MATCH UP----THE ACTUAL ALIGNMENT INVOLVES MOVING THE WHEELS TOWARD/ AWAY FROM EACH OTHER (TOE)--LEANING THEM IN OR OUR (CAMBER)----OR LEANING THE AXLE FORWARD OR REARWARD (CASTER). YOU TUBE MAY EXPLAIN IT IN BIG DETAIL

WHENEVER I TAKE MY "OTHER JEEP" IN FOR AN ALIGNMENT, THEY ALWAYS WANNA MESS ME UP! I HAVE TO STOP THEM!

MY STEERING WHEEL IS ACTUALLY 180 DEGREES AROUND FROM THE "NORM"---NORMALLY A SPOKE WOULD BE AT 6 O'CLOCK

WHEN I DRIVE "HIM" (A PRONOUN USED FOR A "MANLY RUGGED VEHICLE". NO SISSYS IN MY GARAGE), AGAIN, WHEN I DRIVE HIM, I REST MY HANDS ON THE SPOKES AT "4" AND "8" O'CLOCK, THE OTHER SPOKE IS AT "12", AT THE TOP. JUST MY PREFERENCE