TSB #89019 ANTENNA STICKS

1989 Acura Legend • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 170,000 miles

1989 Acura Legend mileage: 170,000. Hello. I'm trying to track down the specifics on a TSB that Acura issued in June 1990, TSB #89019 Antenna Sticks, which I think may spell out a fix for the sticking power antenna on my mother's 1989 Acura Legend. Can you folks provide any detail on this service bulletin? I'm hoping to find out whether there is a repair or service procedure on the clutch mechanism of the power antenna, or if this TSB simply calls for replacing the whole assembly. Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

2CarPros-Archives

Technical Service Bulletin 89-019 Sticking Antenna Model 1989 Acura Legend Sedan/Coupe. The antenna sticks in either the up or down position. Corrective Action: 1. To protect the fender, cut a hole the size of the antenna nut in a piece of material such as outdoor carpet, card board, etc, and put it over the antenna nut. 2. Using the Antenna Nut Wrench, remove the antenna nut, spacer, and the antenna mast. You do not have to remove the power antenna motor to remove the antenna mast. If corrosion has occurred between the antenna nut and mast housing threads, apply rust penetrate before removing the antenna nut. In severe cases, the antenna nut wrench may not remove the nut, so vise-grips will be required. 3. Clean the antenna mast housing threads and reinstall the spacer and busing. 4. Install a new antenna mast and nut. 5. Use the Antenna Nut Wrench and a torque wrench torque the antenna nut to 20 lbs-in. 6. Check that the antenna mast retracts and extends fully when the radio is turned on and off repeatedly. If the antenna nut is over-torqued, the antenna may stick. If sticking occurs, reduce the torque level until the antenna moves freely.

2CarPros-Archives