FUEL GAUGE AND DASH LIGHTS

1988 Volvo 760

1988 Volvo 760 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

My fuel gauge is not working.I also noticed that the dash lights are out as well. All of the other gauges and warning lights are working. I would think that the sending unit might be the issue, but can't help thinking that the lights and the fuel gauge are somehow related. Any sugestions on how to trouble shoot?
I have inserted a 68 ohm resistor inline with the fuel gauge, however the gauge did not show 3/4 full per the manual.
CPolk

You will have to remove the instrument cluster and remove the printed circuit board from behind it.
Check the printed circuit board soldering.
Some of the soldering starts to deteriorate that connects the wiring strips on the other side of the pcb board.
Volvo call this a lighting plate, and is a very big source of problems on older cars.
It is major cause of fuel gauge/dash lights/electro speedo/abs light failure/temperature gauge problems/charging and intermittent starting problems.
Volvo tend to downplay this but it is a serious problem

Jamesmclelland
Did you resolve it yet?

Fixitmr