POWER STEERING

1988 Pontiac Other • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 113,000 miles

Got an 88 sunbird and when I go to turn the wheel it sticks till I get past a certain point and then it just gives and becomes easy to turn ive heard theres a sensor that dis engages the power steering when im running down the highway and that has gone bad but not sure where to look im a motorcycle mechanic not for cars
Mxmechanic

That's called "morning sickness" and is real common on GM front-wheel-drive cars. It's caused by pressurized power steering fluid bypassing the teflon seals in the rack and pinion housing due to grooves worn into the soft aluminum. The problem will clear up when the fluid gets warm. Eventually it will affect turning in the other direction too.

The fix is a rebuilt rack and pinion assembly that has been modified with a stainless steel liner to prevent that from happening again.

It doesnt quit when it gets warm but it does quit if I drive the car hard its almost like its not building enough pressure thanks for answering my question I appreciate it

Mxmechanic