WHAT WOULD CAUSE THE CAR TO STALL OUT AT IDLE WHEN THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL IS DEPRESSED

1988 Mercury Tracer • 62,000 miles

Filled up with gas. Drove maybe a mile. Started to act as if it was going to die, flood out. It did die and it would restart but as soon as I touched gas pedal died. Would start, and when I put in gear died. I pulled the hose running from top of fuel filter and caught gas in glass jar while turning over and it had great pressure. I checked air filter and its new. I checked cap and rotor and are fine. I checked as many vacuum hose as I could, one at a time, checking for any cracks/wear. They all look relatively new. If you could help point me in a direction to illiminate items and to help me pinpoint issue I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your time. Respectfully, richard carson
Richardcarson1

Scan for codes and check fuel pressure with a gauge. Clean teh throttle plate on both sides with chokecleaner. Check all over engine ofr vacuum leaks.

If you just filled up after filled upnand didnt happen before you got contamiated fuel or a failing fuel pump.I have seen a lot of fuel pumps fail after cold fuel hits them.

Also check for codes.

I tried starting it today and is having difficult time starting. Turning it over and then releasing key tries to want to start but doesnt. I have checked all vacuum lines, like I said before, and the seem to be not weathered. This car was my grandmothers and is now my mothers, so it hasnt been raced around or driven hard, so I just dont understand how it could go from running flawlessly to cant even keep it idleing.

Richardcarson1
I know this is a dumb question I have seen this happen many times are you sure you didnt put disel fuel in the tank by mistake?Because if it ran great before the fill up I would want ever went in that tank wasnt good.

Not dumb. I thought about that, but when I pulled the hose off of the fuel filter and let it pump into a one liter bottle it was as clear and clean smelling as ever. Thats why I dont get it. I will be getting a fuel pressure testing guage tomorrow and I hope thats what it is.

Richardcarson1
I didnt say you were dumb I have seen people put disel in and never knew they did it. Iam just here to try to help you if this all started after a fill up thats where I would start. Let me know what you find.

I didnt mean that I meant the question isnt dumb. And believe me when I say how glad and grateful I am that you are giving me some advice. Today I am going to check fuel pressure and regulato. I hope its that cuz if not I am not sure where to look next

Richardcarson1
Alright let me know what you find.