AUTOMATIC HEADLIGHTS

1988 Lincoln Town Car

1988 Lincoln Town Car V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 126000 miles

the automatic hibeam lights in my car do not work. I cannot even use the highbeam lights in this car unless I pull back on the pass lever and hold it. The hibeams are supposed to go on automatically and I figure how why they wont work.
Itallstallion89

If the high beams don't work in the normal switch position, that's the place to start. New switch, or the wires to it. Test this way.
HEADLIGHTS - AUTOMATIC -1988 Lincoln Town Car
Page 1 of 1
SYSTEM TEST PROCEDURE
1. Turn headlight switch to " ON" position. If headlights remain on low beam in both positions of the dimmer switch, proceed to step 7). If headlights do not remain on low beam, proceed to next step. 2. Remove high-low relay. Connect one lead of test light to battery voltage and other lead to Violet wire of relay connector. If test light does not light for both positions of dimmer switch, replace relay. 3. If test light does light, remove dimmer switch connector. If test light remains lighted, repair short in circuit. If test light indicates no voltage, replace dimmer switch and reconnect relay. 4. Disconnect sensor-amplifier cable at in-line connector. Connect voltmeter between ground and White wire at sensor. With sensitivity control fully clockwise and headlights on, meter should read battery voltage. 5. Rotate control fully counterclockwise. Meter should read zero volts. Rotate control between the 2 positions. A smooth, continuous voltage change should be indicated. If control does not operate as described in steps 4) and 5), replace sensitivity control. 6. With headlights on, sensor exposed to sufficient light and dimmer switch in " AUTOMATIC" position, disconnect sensor-amplifier cable at in-line connector. If headlights return to low beam, replace sensor-amplifier. If headlights remain on high beam, replace dimmer switch. 7. Activate flash-to-pass system by raising dimmer switch. Headlights should switch to high beam. If headlights do switch to high beam, proceed to step 9). If headlights do not switch to high beam, check for loose connection at high-low relay, dimmer switch connector near driver sensitivity control, or check in-line connector between sensor-amplifier cable and wiring harness. 8. Disconnect Red wire from dimmer switch connector and ground it to vehicle body. If headlights switch to high beam, replace dimmer. If headlights do not switch to high beam, reconnect Red wire and check continuity of circuit through harness to sensitivity control and sensor-amplifier. 9. Place dimmer switch in " AUTOMATIC" position and tightly cover sensor-amplifier lens with a Black cloth. Headlights should switch to high beam. Remove cloth and proceed to step 11). If lights do not switch to high beam, disconnect sensor-amplifier at in-line connector. 10. Ground Gray/Yellow Dot wire on engine compartment wiring harness connector. If headlights switch to high beam, replace sensor-amplifier. If headlights do not switch to high beam, replace dimmer switch. 11. Place headlights on automatic low beam and rotate sensitivity control fully counterclockwise. If headlights do not switch to high beam, check sensitivity control for poor connection to ground. If headlights do switch to high beam, proceed to next step. 12. If system responds correctly to all tests, unit is functioning properly and only sensitivity and aiming remain to be checked.

7/31/2008

Merlin2021
Where are all the things you spoke of tho?

Itallstallion89
Run the tests first, when you figure out what is gone I will tell you where it is and how to replace it, deal?

Merlin2021
I apologize for bringing up such an old post but I'm having the same problem with my '89 town car. The only difference with my case is that every now and then, my high beams will magically come on every now and then and then not work again usually when I go to start up my car again.

I have gone through most of the steps you have posted and I will tell you my findings.

In step one, I pulled the dimmer knob to both positions. First position only turns on the park lights and second position turns on low beams.

In step seven, headlights would switch to high beams but not stay on. Proceeded to step 9.

In step 9, I placed the dimmer switch to auto, and covered the sensor with something dark. No high beams.

In step 10, it mentions to disconnect the wire to the sensor module and ground it. Where is this located at? This is where I got stuck at.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Deathstryker
Mounted to the dash!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_89tc_1.jpg

Merlin2021
I think this is why I was confused. On my model, I believe the dim sensor is connected to the rear-view mirror.

Hopefully it still uses the same color code for the wires and I will need to figure out how to ground it since it's in a pretty inconvenient spot.

Deathstryker
89 is attached at mirror, here are the diagrams I found, not real clear but I sent them via email...here's a sample.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_89TCa_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_89tcb_1.jpg

Merlin2021
Thanks for your help on this guys.

I have grounded the gray/yellow wire that leads into the sensor amplifier and I stil had no high beams.

I have determined (hopefully I'm right) that it is the dimmer switch and I am going to buy a replacement soon off of AutoZone's site.

I will continue to let you know how all this goes so that it may help others and after I'm through with this, I will surely give you guys a donation for your help.

Deathstryker
Glad to help! Let us know how it goes.

Merlin2021
Yesterday, I decided to remove the dimmer switch to see if I could do it before I went and paid $60 for a switch.

When I pulled the thing out, I looked inside it and it was absolutely filthy. I decided instead to just disassemble the switch itself and clean the contacts to the low beam/high beam portion of the switch and put it back together.

Tonight, I had the chance to test out the auto dimmer and sure enough, it worked rather well. Both automatic and manual dimmers work nicely now.

Given that the switch is old, I will probably end up replacing it sometime anyway so the same thing doesn't repeat but for now everything seems in proper order.

Once again, thanks for your quick replies and willingness to help me. I have given you a donation as a token of my appreciation.

Hopefully, this info will help someone in the future.

Deathstryker
Page 1 of 2