JERKS WHEN SHIFTING

1988 Ford F-150 • 75,000 miles

My 1988 Ford F-150 clunks and jerks when shifting into and out of Overdrive (automatic transmission.) All other up shifts and downshifts are normal.

The problem seems to happen at all speeds.
Lynngrim

CHECK THE U JOINTS AND THE TRANS MOUNT

Cadieman
The ujoints don't clunk and the transmission doesn't jump when I change from Drive to Reverse, or Reverse to Drive.

Lynngrim
Sorry I seam to have dropped your question. This seams to be a internal problem in the trans. Its more noticed when your at higher speeds. Youll need to take it to a trans shop and let a specialist drive it. Fyi you only test the motor mounts with the rev to drive test. Use a pry bar to check if the trans mount is broken and u joints can clunk if they get bad enough. Ty for using 2carpros

Cadieman
I have replaced the Throttle Position Sensor and the transmission now shifts 3-4 and 4-3 mormally.

Lynngrim
Lynngrm thank you for letting us know what the fix for your problem was. We appreciate you letting us know.

Rivermikerat