88 CHEVY PICKUP TRUCK FUSIBLE LINK

1988 Chevrolet Other • V8 2WD Automatic •

We have an 88 chevy pickup truck with a 95 engine. The fusible link starts smoking when we try to start it. When we turn the key, it doesn't click or anything. The lights all work, so it isn't the battery. As I understand it, we can replace the fusible link and it will work, but I need to find out what it goes to so I can fix it. Thanks.
CRolland

Since the engine replace, have you had it running? Are you saying the starter won't crank? Can you turn the crankshaft by hand? Is the engine froze-up? The fusible link that is smoking, where is it located?

The fusible links that I looked at was for 88 chevy pickup c1500.

It is fusible link A. We have been driving the truck just fine usually. The engine was replaced a while ago. We got under the truck to see if the starter was doning anything and it isn't. We think this is the problem, but are not sure. Thanks!

CRolland
My info says fusible link A is blue, for the charging system.

Does the battery have a full charge? If you use a digital multimeter across the battery posts, everything off, the generic spec for a full charge is 12.6 volts.

If you think the starter has a problem, some of the national brand autostores will test it for you. Take it off and take it to them.