OLDS

1987 Oldsmobile Calais • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic •

HELP FOR MY 1987 OLDS. CALAIS. THE CAR STARTS AND RUNS OK BUT YOU CAN TELL THERE ARE PROBLEMS. FIRST WHEN I TURN THE SWITCH ON THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS THE ONLY ONE THAT COMES ON. PLACE THE SHIFT IN REVERSE IT TAKES THE GEAR FINE, PLACE IN ANY FORWARD GEAR IT WONT ENGUAGE FOR A FEW MINUTES. THEN IT WILL BE OK THE REST OF THE DAY UNTIL IT SITS OVERNIGHT. THE SPEEDOMETER DOES NOT WORK MOST OF THE TIME BUT ONCE IN A GREAT WHILE IT STARTS WORKING BUT WHEN I STOP IT QUITS AGAIN. I TRIED TO RUN THE COMPUTER CODES, I PLACED A JUMPER WIRE FROM A TO B TERMINALS NOTHING SHOWED ON THE DASH, I TURNED THE SWITCH ON THEN ONLY THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON. THE LIGHT REMAINED ON UNTIL I TURNED THE KEY OFF SEVERAL MINUTES LATER. REMEMBER THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS THE ONLY LIGHT THAT COME ON WHEN THE KEY IS ON (NO OIL LIGHT NO CHARGING LICHT ECT)
(NOTE)
IF AND WHEN THE SPEEDOMETER KICKS IN I CAN FEEL A SLIGHT CHANGE IN THE ENGINE SPEED. I HAVE UNPLUGGED THE CONVERTER SOLENOID TCC) AS IT DOESN'T RELEASE SOMETIMES. I WAS A MASTER TECH FOR GENERAL MOTORS UNTIL THE EARLY 1970'S BUT THAT WAS BEFORE COMPUTERS. I REALLLLLLY NEED HELP
THANKS IN ADVANCE
BILL
Bhooten233

I'd check the instrument cluster connectors, check for corrosion--bent pins, anything.

In the diagram F C E M is at the instrument cluster connector. Note terminal C. Voltage to the ses lite goes hot with the key on. Circuit 419, brown wire with white tracer is ground for the ses lite. If that circuit is shorted to ground, the lite will stay on all the time, the key is on and no flashing ses.

Trhanks jdl I will try that
bill

Bhooten233
Let us know how you make out.