MERCURY COUGAR CATALYTIC CONVERTER PROBLEM

1987 Mercury Cougar • 142,000 miles

I was driving on the freeway at 65mph when it just lost power all of a sudden. I can start it, but it barely runs, extremely rough and shakes hard and when you give it gas it just runs even rougher and power loss untll it dies
Gjoelh

Check the exhaust system for restriction-Catalytic Converter could be clogged-up-start here and also go to this walk thru link: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-has-low-power-output

Thanks,
i checked for restriction and it sems to be ok. I'll still at a loss because of how it happened so sudden, going from running ok at 70 mph and then just shutdown. No sound or noise, but like something went. I coasted to the side of the road. And like I said, it will turn over and start but idles rough and won't stay running

Gjoelh
Fuel pump could be failing -check the fuel pressure if its within specs before and after the fuel filter