87 THROTTLE BODY TV GROMMENT REPLACE AND CABLE ADJUSTMENT

1987 Lincoln Town Car • 17,000 miles

Hello First of all I asked a question earlier and forgot to ask the most important part. Do you think that the grommet coming off is the reason all of a sudden while driving 65 mph I had no overdrive? It would drive in overdrive til it reached about 45mph then I would have to put it in second gear? Someone told me that 3 and 4 clutch would burn out because of no line pressure to check all line connectors between throttle body and trasnmission. Then told me I would need to rebulid my tranny. I checked them and found the grommet missing. Car pros said fix that and adjust cable it should be fine. Well I put the grommet on and I am not understnding what I should do about the about adjusting the cable. Hoping maybe someone with knowledge could please explain what I do step by step in english so I can understand. Hoping to have overdrive when its done. Also how do I reply to the answer I get, for any questions I may have about the answer? Do I have to go to ask a question part and start over or can I just reply to my question and get a response from the same fix it person that answers my question? 1987 Lincoln town car 8 cyl 5.0 engine Thank u
Thatsthat9

87 is a while ago but I have an 86 shop manual at home and will look it up at 2: 00pm. I know its real simple. But don't want to gi e wrong proceedure.

Merlin2021
Merlin2012, can u answer any of my other questions. If my overdrive isn't going to come back after doing this adjustment because its got more serious problems. Would there would be a reason to do this adjustment until it was fixed. I guess I can drive in 2nd gear til it goes or I get it fixed which ever comes first. I dont really understand what problems this problem will bring or has brought. I was hoping some could explain that to me. Is that possible?

Thatsthat9
With the tv out of adjustment low pressures may have caused damage. Is check engine or od light on?

Merlin2021
No lights came on. Do u think damage that cant be fixed with the tv adjustment? How will I know? I guess by trying to adjust the cable. If u can explain it so I can understand. I have a AOD trans. But u probablely knew that. Right?

Thatsthat9
AOT Throttle Valve (T.V.) Control Rod

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.

Page 1 of 2
Engine must be at normal operating temperature. On models without Idle Speed Control (ISC), throttle lever must be resting on idle stop or throttle solenoid positioner stop. On vehicles with ISC, locate the self test connector and self test input connector in engine compartment. See Fig. 3. Connect a jumper wire between the self test input connector and the signal return ground terminal. Turn ignition key to RUN" position. DO NOT start engine. Wait 10 seconds to allow ISC plunger to fully retract. Turn ignition key off. Remove jumper wire and air cleaner. On vehicles equipped with ISC, retract the ISC plunger as previously described. On all models, place transmission selector lever in Neutral and set parking brake. Set linkage lever adjustment screw about mid-range. Raise vehicle and allow exhaust system to cool. Loosen bolt on T.V. Control rod trunnion block at transmission lever. Ensure that trunnion block is free to slide on rod. Push upward on lower end of T.V. Rod (at transmission) to ensure that carburetor linkage is held firmly against throttle lever. Control rod must stay in position when released. Firmly hold T.V. Control lever on transmission upward against internal stop and tighten trunnion block bolt in position. Lower vehicle. On models without ISC, check that throttle lever resting on idle stop or throttle solenoid positioner stop. On models with ISC, plug in ISC motor electrical connector.
This is what I found for the AOD. Possible no damage occured, after you adjust it, go for a ride and see if it's back to normal.

Merlin2021