ISUZU TROOPER BATTERY PROBLEM

1987 Isuzu Trooper • 197,000 miles

I was trying to replace the switch on the transfer-case I got from a local parts store. The light worked opposite from what it should, showing engaged when off and off when in four wheel drive. I hooked up one of the the one of the connections ( I should have seen the hand writing on the wall when I had change the connection to fit the new switch) to the back up light switch on the side of the transmission. Now none of the gauges work, except that the battery light stays on all the time. What happened and what do I check to fix this mess?
Martychenault

Oh yes I took the battery and the alternator to be checked at a local parts store. They told me the battery was ok but the alternator needed to be replaced. So, I did and still the battery light is on? HELP

Martychenault
Check the fuses first. Your re wiring may have blown a fuse.

I checked all the fuses and even changed the alternator. What should I check next?

Martychenault
Check for a bad ground circuit.