HONDA CRX ENGINE PROBLEM

1987 Honda CRX • 308,000 miles

Recently, on my 1987 CRX HF (carbureted and manual) a heater hose cracked and emptied the radiator, which caused the engine to overheat to an insanely high temperature. We replaced the heater hose and the car started fine, only issues were the idling issues that it originally had. But the next day, after the car sat overnight, I started it and the idle wont drop from 3000 rpm. Is this new high idle because the engine overheated? What could be causing it?
Blubabe52889

Is the coolant level good? The automatic choke is assisted by a heater hose, if I am not mistaken

Yeah. The coolant level is good. Another thing I forgot to mention is that when it started idling at 3000 rpm, the pressure caused the fuel to back up and it started to come out of the fuel cap. Is this also due to the engine overheating?

Blubabe52889
No, different issue entirely.

I wad told the thermostat could be sticking, so that's been replaced. Haven't found a vacuum leak, flushed the radiator, also replaced the transmission fluid because it has been slipping- thought it was low on fluid so changed it- which didn't help. It has new plugs, the timing was checked about a month ago, but I can't get the idle down to 1k to check it again. I am totally lost.

Blubabe52889
See if the choke plate is all the way open that will allow the idle to come down

Okay. Any ideas about the fuel backing up like it did? Granted, the car does have 300k on it, which is a lot, but if I can fix it, I'm certainly going try.

Blubabe52889
I would be looking at the hoses to the tank, the evap hoses, for one of them to be blocked not allowing venting

After it warmed up, It seems the idle has fixed itself entirely. Even when it's warm it idles steadily now, not fluctuating like it was before. Hasn't died once. Thank you for your help, though. The info is greatly appreciated.

Blubabe52889