I HAVE AN CHEVY S-10 WITH A CARBURATED 283CID ENGINE.FUEL PUMP IS IN GAS TANK.MY VEHICLE STARTS RUNNING POORLY AND I NOTICE MY FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR READS 2LBS SO I TURN IT UP TO 4.5LBS RUNS GREAT FOR A FEW MILES.THEN THE PRESSURE READS 2LBS

1987 Chevrolet Blazer

I have to keep adjusting my fuel pressure regulator back up to 4.5lbs do you think my regulator or my in tank pump is going bad?

Xironworker

Check the actual fuel pressure with a gauge if its within specs-

If you converted that system from a return type system to a returnless using a regulator, you will just fry the pump. Those pumps aren't designed to run that way.

Wrenchtech
What pump system do you suggest I run?

Xironworker
It's a conversion that really should never have been attempted. It requires a different fuel tank and external fuel pump, preferably the engine mounted factory pump. These modifications aren't even legal to do.

Wrenchtech
Thanks I will run engine mounted mechanical pump.

Xironworker
You need a different tank first.

Wrenchtech
Can I not just pull the pump put back the sender, then put an in line pump and a mechanical on the block. Plus the regulator?

Xironworker
No, because the sender will no longer reach the bottom of the tank and you will have an extra line going into it. It also requires a vented tank which is illegal now. You can't just think you are going to "old school" and EPA certified car. The fines start at $2500.

Wrenchtech