BUICK RIVIERA KNOB PROBLEM

1987 Buick Riviera • 110,000 miles

At night when headlights are on the speedometer light panel is very bright & wont dim, and the instrument lights dont come on. What could be the problem?
Thehend6

Did you try rotating the headlamp switch knob? Usually you can dim interior lamps that way. If it won't work maybe something wrong with headlamp switch?

Don't have a knob. I have replaced the whole switch & it still wont dim, I guess there is some kind of sensor in the dash maybe that is not reading that it is night time.

Thehend6
For twilight sentinal, there is a photo-cell under the speaker or defrost grille. I can't be positive that the problem is the photo-cell?

Do you know how one would check if its the problem? How do I get to it? Checking my manual & not finding it?

Thehend6
I'm not up to speed on your model year. I can just tell you according to our database. If you have twilight sentenal? For the photo-cell, our data base just says center of dash.