, 2.5I REPLACED THE WATER PUMP AND TIMING BELT, BUT NOW IT DOESN'T START. AFTER I HAD REMOVED THE TIMING BELT AND CLEANED THE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY, I REALIZED THAT I HAD USED THE WRONG NOTCH TO FIND TDC. HOWEVER, WHEN I PUT THE NEW BELT ON

1987 Acura Legend • 200,000 miles

I have spark, but I don't smell a strong gas smell when I crank the engine (I am enclosed on three sides).
Weatherguy

If ran before you replaced the timing belt and water pump then the first thing I would check is to make sure the timing marks are in the correct spots.

If it ran before the TB replacement- I agree with/Sat9 the valve timing is off-Did you put the no.1 piston on its compression/TDC?

No. 1 piston is at TDC.

Weatherguy
So did you use a repair manual to line up the marks?Because unless you broke something o left something unplugged your timing is off. There isnt many other possibiltys here.

Yes. It said to line up the pointer and the notch with a white mark, but I used the wrong notch to line things up before I removed the timing belt. I could not see the mark until after I had cleaned the crankshaft pulley. After I put the new belt on and rotated the crankshaft, the white mark on the crankshaft and the red mark on the back camshaft pulley lined up. This should have No. 1 piston at TDC.
Short of taking the new belt off, I have redone the entire replacement.

Weatherguy
Have you done a compression test yet?If not do that and give me compression results.

Doesn't look good. About 65 on 1, 2 and 3; about 35 on 5 and 6; almost nothing on 4

Weatherguy
Why did you change the belt did the belt break will driving it?

My water pump went out. I had to loosen the timing belt to replace the water pump, so I thought I should replace the belt, since it had 202,000 miles on it.
Also today, I took my air filter off, and it did not seem to be drawing any air through the intake manifold when I cranked the engine.

Weatherguy
With compression that low its not going to have much sucking on the throttle body. If all the timing marks are aligned then it sounds like you have some bent valves. You said earlier you had the timing marks off at first when they were off did you try to start it?Or crank the engine over?

Page 1 of 2