TRANSMISSION

1986 Toyota Pickup • 307,000 miles

1986 toyota 4x4 pickup 22re carb`d 5 speed wont go into first gear without going into second then up into first to go inot third I have to jam from second to third also grinds going into reverse what could it be?
Thudson24

If you have a issue with it grinding into more then one gear then you most likely have a issue with the clutch hydraulics or the clutch itself.

WORN BLOCKING RINGS ON THE SYNCRONIZERS WILL CAUSE THIS (THIS WAS MY PROBLEM. BLOCKING RINGS ARE THE BRASS DEALEES SEEN IN MY 7th PIC DURING MY REBUILD)

WIFEY NEVER KNEW WE USED THE KITCHEN TABLE!

. AS WELL AS OIL/ GREASE ON YOUR CLUTCH DISC AND FLYWHEEL

. LUBRICATION IS KINDA IMPORTANT TOO

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT KINDA TRANNY JUICE YOURS REQUIRES.I'M SURE IT DOES REQUIRE SOME KIND

MIGHT WANNA CRAWL UNDER THERE AND CHECK EVERYTHING--TRANNY -TRANSFER CASE-FRONT AND REAR DIFFS. THESE ARE SO NEGLECTED AND OVERLOOKED. IT'S EVEN WORSE IF YOU 'FINALLY' GET DOWN THERE AND SEE SOMETHING HAS BEEN-A-LEAKIN' FOREVER

BELOW IS A "LESS THAN $5" (GOT THIS ONE AT ADVANCE AUTO) PUMP TO INSTALL "YOUR KINDA JUICE". DISREGARD "MY KINDA JUICE HOOKED ON IT"

THEN WELL THROW IN A PIC OF "NO LUBE" GETTING INTO MY TRANSFER CASE TAIL SECTION (THIS JUST HAPPENED TO BE FROM PREVIOUS OWNER "OVER USING" SILICONE GASKET. THE LUBE HOLES GOT STOPPED UP. MY POOR 1977 CJ 5 WAS DOWN FOR A WHILE. WHEN THIS LOCKED DOWN, THE EXTREME TORQUE TWISTED THE WHOLE CASE AND CRACKED IT TOO.

ALL OF THIS "EVIL STUFF" HAPPENED TO ME JUST AFTER I WAS 100% REPLACING EVERY PART IN MY TRANNY. MINE WAS DOING EXACTLY LIKE YOURS, GRABBING OTHER GEARS 1ST, IN ORDER TO GET IT TO GO INTO ANOTHER

I OPTED TO SPEND THE $800+ AND BUILD IT MYSELF, TO INSURE IT WOULD BE AROUND ANOTHER 35 YEARS----GOT ANOTHER $400 IN FIXIN' THE TRANSFER CASE.I RECKON I STIRRED UP THE SILICONE IN THE CASE WHEN I DRAINED AND PULLED THE TRANSFER CASE OFF

KEEP US POSTED

It only grinds into reverse somtimes its just impossible to go into first gear without going into another gear then first. Third gear is somtimes a pain to get in forcing me to switch to another gear then third.

Thudson24
IT WAS ALREADY SORTA MENTIONED THE CLUTCH MAY NOT BE FULLY DISENGAGING BY saturntech9

KINDA THE SHORT VERSION OF WHAT I AND HE WAS SAYING ABOVE

. SOMETHING IN THE TRANNY IS TURNING AND IT SHOULDN'T BE (DISC)

. OR SOMETHING IN THE TRANNY IS NOT "SLOWING DOWN" THE INPUT SHAFT SO THE OTHER SHAFT CAN (NO OTHER WAY TO SAY IT) "SYNCRONIZE" WITH THE OTHER SHAFT

OTHER THAN CHECKING YOUR JUICE--FIXING THE CLUTCH MASTER OR SLAVE CYLINDER (MAYBE THE EZist THINGS TO DO). YOU'RE PROBABLY LOOKING AT "TRANNY EXPLORATORY SURGERY"

Thanks. When I bought it the guy had some kind of thing in the bottom of the brake and clutch fluid cylinders blocking fluid from the lines so I removed them and a friend said I might need to bleed the clutch and brakes after that so im going to give that a try first before getting too complicatede and expinsive.

Thudson24
FOUND THIS FOR YOU TOO---IT TAKES A COUPLE OF TIMES TO UNDERSTAND WHAT SLOWS DOWN AND SYNCRONIZES

YOU MUST ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT THE OUTPUT SHAFT AND EVERYTHING COUPLED TO IT IS SPINNING WHILE YOU ARE ROLLING

......SO REALLY (SORTA) "BOTH ENDS" OF YOUR TRANNY ARE MOVING----THE SYNCRONIZERS ARE MAKING THEIR SPEEDS EQUAL SO YOU CAN "SHIFT" (OR COUPLE THE 2 SHAFTS TOGETHER)......THIS ONLY WILL WORK IF THE CLUTCH DISC IS FREEWHEELING (CLUTCH PEDAL DOWN)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XunM7yUC06M

2ND AND 3RD TIME---MIGHT WANNA TURN THE VOLUME OFF!

If the hydralics arent working correctly and clutch isn't releasing because of that you will have grinding and hard to get into gear let it go long enough will damage transmission internals. As far as the clutch I have seen mostly worn/bent pressure plate fingers cause part of the clutch disc to not release and cause grinding or hard to get into gear. Or you just have a internal problem. The syncros line up the gears while everything is spining inside the transmission so it doesn't grind while its in motion.