I CAN PUT MY HAND OVER THE TOP OF THE CARBURETOR AND TRUCK STARTS, TAKE IT OFF AND IT DIES AND WILL NOT START UNTILL I PUT MY HAND BACK. WHY!??

1986 Toyota Pickup • 190,000 miles

I got a kit and changed that out and it still occurs! I need to know what I can try and see if it changes anything. I have used cleaner also and still won't help. Once I get it started it will run as long as I push on the gas, as soon as I let up it dies! Please help!
JesseBrownlee

The idle control system is causing the problem and it could be due to a stuck fuel cut solenoid, vacuum leaks. If the idle adjust and/or fuel metering screw is not adjusted correctly, the problem would also occur.

Check solenoid on carb body unscrew ground ie. Touch to carb turn key on solenoid should retract

Docfixit
Thank you, I will check those!

JesseBrownlee
I tried the solenoid on the carb, what exactly is supposed to happen? Cause I didn't notice anything different.

JesseBrownlee
Is the choke plate closing when it is cold or is it wide open?

Wide open.

JesseBrownlee
Thats your issue. It needs to be closed when cold and wide open when hot. Check the linkage to make sure it is clean and working. The choke thermostat may have failed after all these years as well.

You need to adjust the choke opening and also the fast idle device-you shouldn't have to keep pushing the gas pedal once its set to keep it running