HOT HOT HOT 86 TEMPERATURE GAUGE NOT WORKING AND FANS STOPPED WORKING TOO : ( PLEASE HELP!

1986 Porsche 944 • 4 cylinder • 130,000 miles

How can I get these fans to start running again? There is supposed to be something that tells them when it is time to turn on and I am not sure where to start.

The backstory. When I bought the car last year the temp gauge worked and I found it running too hot quite often. I noticed that one of the fans wasn't running and found it unplugged. Problem was solved. Then the temp guage decided not to work for a few weeks then it came back and then gone again for months. During this time the fans continued working. When the engine did get too hot from idling while sitting still the red light on the temp gauge would illuminate even without the gauge working. This light still works, the gauge still does not and more importantly the fans have not come on in weeks.

I have been driving it as little as possible and when concerned about overheating I run the heater to reduce some of the heat under the hood.

I don't think it is the fan relay but I suppose that is possible as well.

This car won't last long overheating as often as it is and I would like to order some parts and begin this repair as soon as possible with your advice and kind instructions of course : )
Popkih

Look for an engine coolant temperature sensor or the engine temperature gauge switch

Do you know where these

Do suggest that replacing both of these will fix the gauge and the fans?

Popkih
CTS/DME

I am going to order the engine temperature sensor and the I want to order the coolant temperature sensor but I can't find it's location. Could my fan problem be the fan switch?

Popkih
Ok, I think I found the coolant temperature sensor near the engine temp sensor on the left side of the engine. If it is the fan switch then I am confused as to why the Haynes manual shows that switch as having 2 tabs and everywhere I find the part online it has 3 tabs.

-Thanks

Popkih
Rasmataz I need a reply to yesterday's issues as soon as you can. -Thanks

Popkih