HOW DO I GET TOO THE IGNATION SWITCH IN MY 86

1986 Pontiac Firebird • 15 miles

I took apart the whole dash trying to find out a way to get too my ignation switch and I have yet to find one it has the tilt mount on it so I dont know what to do or how too get to it.
PfcCaudle

The column has to be unbolted and dropped down on the front seat. The switch is at the bottom of the steering column by the brake pedal.

Put the dash back together.

See if this will help

IGNITION SWITCH

Removal

Steering column must be lowered or removed on some models to gain access to switch. Steering wheel removal is not required. Position lock cylinder in "OFF" position.
If lock cylinder has already been removed, pull actuating rod up until it stops, then push down 2 detents. Remove switch retaining screw and stud. Lift switch from column and detach actuator rod.

Installation

Place lock cylinder in "OFF" position. Place switch in "OFF" position by moving selector to top of switch and then backing off 2 detents.
On standard column models, fit actuator rod into slider hole. Install switch onto steering column and tighten attaching stud and screw.
On tilt or telescope columns, install switch and lightly push switch down on column to take up free play in actuator rod. Tighten attaching stud and screw, connect wiring harness and check operation of switch.

See below

SO the bolts about half way down the steering colomn has to be taken out

PfcCaudle
They are the ones holding it up on the dash support, yes

Ok now that I have the steering colomn lowered how do I get the pen off and how do I know if its the lock cilinder?

PfcCaudle
How do I get the stud off?

PfcCaudle