OLDSMOBILE DELTA 88 ENGINE PROBLEM

1986 Oldsmobile Delta 88 • 63,000 miles

I have a Olds 88 1986 and I've been having trouble with my gears slipping. At first this

started little by little over a period of about 5 months. I'd be driving and between 30

and 40 every now and then it just wouldn't shift into 3rd (I'm guessing) until I pushed

down hard on the petal revving the engine. Then just within two days time recently it

started doing that even in higher gears so now I have to drive with it in "2" in town and

just watch that I don't go over 40ish. If I try and drive in normal "D" every time it gets

to the higher gears it will slip down to a lower gear if I dont have my foot flooring the

gas petal and revving the engine. I dont really have the money to even get it looked at at

this point and the people I have asked have been pretty divided. Some say its the tranny,

(which I really hope it isn't being that I for sure cant afford that any time soon) others

have told me it may be the solenoid. One thing that is important to note is that the car

itself only has about 63,000 miles on it. It was a grocery car for an elderly woman before

I bought it so its only had 1 owner and she very rarely used it. Any thought on what you

guys think it may be and also what is the fastest I should be driving in "2"? Thanks.

It is an internal issue and will have to be removed and inspected.