NISSAN NAVARA WHEEL PROBLEM

1986 Nissan Navara • 250 miles

Speedo is reading incorrect speed. When doing approx 60klm/h it shows 40. Speedo will occasionally also read 160klm/h when only doing about 10. Have tried a couple of things that have been suggested and nothing has worked. Tried to get 2nd hand cluster from wreckers but not having much luck. Any suggestions appreciated.
Trev01

Did you change the size of the tires and wheels?

It has 10r15's on it which I think is slightly bigger than standard but I have been told it shouldn't make a lot of difference. Certainly the 160k/h when doing 10 it wouldn't have anything to do with that.

Trev01
The speedometer is faulty and has to be replaced. One thing you can try is remove the meter and check if transmission oil has crept up from the cable. Oil contamination can result in the symptoms described as it would not allow the plate behind the meter gear to freewheel and allow the magnet to perform its work correctly.

If there are oil contaminations, you can try cleaning with carb cleaner but be careful in order not to dirty the meter face.