STARTER ENGAGES BUT WONT TURN THE FLY WHEEL

1986 Nissan Maxima • 180,000 miles

Starter clicks and took it in to be tested and the starters fine. Tested it on the car by groundeding it to the body a watched the started pop out the wheel but the wheel won't turn. Took out the battery and charged it so it's not that but it seems not enough power getting to the starter. It's a mistery to me. Can it be some kind of relay gone bad?
Danno1207

If the solenoid is engaging but the starter isn't turning, it sounds like an internal armeture problem with the electric motor itself. Power to the starter is direct from the battery, so make sure the terminals are clean and tight and the ground to the engine block is the same.

I bought another starter from pull and save and had it tested also and it to worked fine. When I put it in it does the same thing. The starter wheel pops out fine but it wont turn and turn the fly wheel!It started fine before this and it happened suddenly without any clue that there was a problem. It will push start and run so I'm clueless. Cleaned everything and the battery is fully charged. Like I said before it seems to not be getting enough power to turn the starter.I test it on another battery and it turns fine.

Danno1207
Electrical connection problem. Check your fuses. Then check wiring. If it's not those things, I'd bet on needing a new ignition switch.

Heyman1104
There has to be an open circuit between the battery and starter. The click you hear is the solenoid engaging. That should kick the starter motor into action. Since it doesn't and you are sure the starter is good, that is where the problem has to be. Check continunity on the positive battery cable.