CHRYSLER 5TH AVENUE RADIATOR PROBLEM

1986 Chrysler 5th Avenue

My lower hose busted and antifreeze got all over everything now engine is smoking and car continues to overheat what is wrong?
Ieshabellamy

You have to replace the hose and refill the cooling system a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze. The smoke is the old coolant burning off.

I changed the hose, there is water in the coolant container, car is still overheating not taking anything. Looks ad off the engine is smoking.

Ieshabellamy
Did you refill just the reservoir or did you also fill the radiator? The engine block will be full of air that has to bleed out as you refill the system. That will take about two gallons of coolant. If you have a 318 c.I. That usually occurs by itself but if the thermostat is sealing really well you are going to have to help it or wait a while for the air to bleed through it. Until that happens the thermostat will not open and the engine will overheat. Thermostats open in response to hot liquid, not hot air.

If the radiator is full to the top but you haven't gotten enough coolant in yet, look for the sending unit for the temperature gauge on the dash. It is screwed into the intake manifold very close to the thermostat housing. That's at the end of the upper radiator hose. It will have a single purple wire plugged onto it. Unplug it and unscrew it. As I recall, I think it will take a 1/2" deep socket. As soon as it's removed you'll see the coolant level in the radiator go down. Add coolant until it runs out of that hole, then reinstall the sensor.

I filled the radiator and it ran out the bottom is it my radiator
.

Ieshabellamy
I can't really see it from here. Did you find a hole or tear in the old lower hose? If not, it may have not been the cause of the leak. It's pretty rare for coolant to run out of a leaking radiator real fast unless it was cracked in a crash.

Given the age of the car it would be much more likely a core plug corroded out. Those can leak as fast as you pour more water in. The water will be running out back further under one side of the engine, not up in front under the radiator.

As soon as I poured antifreeze in the radiator it ran out the bottom of it. Radiator will not hold anything should I get a new one? There are nomore leaks car just runs hot and rattles really loud.

Ieshabellamy
You need someone to look at it and see where it's leaking from. You could have a really minor problem with an easy fix. You don't want to be wasting money on expensive wrong parts. It could also be a serious problem that you don't want to spend any money on. We can't sit here and guess on the repair until we know what the cause of the problem is.