NOT STARTING...

1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo • 3,500 miles

1987 Monte Carlo SS 383 that has been having issues when starting. The issues started at the state inspection station where the inspectors said after starting the car, the start kept spinning and they had to disconnect the battery to stop it. Before getting the inspection, there wasn't any issues. After connecting the starter back, the car started but since would take 10-15 attempts to get it started (the starter would make a lot of noise and really struggle). So I replaced the starter. After I replaced the starter, it took a couple times. But it started (only once though). Now the car doesn't start and only makes a single "click" noise. Could it be electrical or the remote solenoid?
Doppleherz69

So you have a no cank no start?Also have you had the battery tested and made sure the battery cables are clean and tight?Do you have a mulitimeter?

Yes, I have a multimeter.

Doppleherz69
I see the solenoid being on the starter not seperate. You should have battery on the big black wire to the starter?When you have battery voltage at the smaller purple wire to the starter with the key in the start position?Also have you had the battery tesed and made sure the battery cables are clean and tight?

I have a remote solenoid on the front passenger side wheel well. The battery is new and tests good.

Doppleherz69
So you changed the oringal wiring for the starter?Because my wire diagram shows the solenoid on the starter. So there is no solenoid on your starter?Whats clicking the remote starter solenoid?So you have two large cables going to the remote solenoid and two smaller ones?

It's not a stock setup, the body and interior are really the only stock items. It's a Summit Racing ProTorque starter. On large cable from the battery to the remote solenoid. Then one large cable from the solenoid to the starter.

Doppleherz69
So whats clicking when you try to start it?The fender mounted solenoid?Also there are two smaller wires going to the solenoid?

1 sec in and 5 seconds into the video are the best sounds.

Doppleherz69
Ok I watched the video but still dont know where the sound is coming from. Help me out here if its coming from the solenoid then thats where we should start testing. How many small wires are on the solenoid?

Page 1 of 2