SHIFTS POINTS OFF OCCASIONALLY AND ODD SOUND AT SHUT OFF.

1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo • V8 2WD Automatic • 2,819 miles

I have an 86 Monte Carlo SS w/ an 383 stroker, 2400 stall convertor w/ lockup, and a 200r4 transmission. Symptoms are that I just can't seem to get the TV cable right. Most of the time during light/moderate acceleration it shifts to second around 15-20mph and third at about 30mph and fourth at 40mph. However, about 30-40% of the time it seems to shift early, like 7-13mph and second as soon as 20-25mph. Any thoughts on that? Also, when shutting the car off after driving long distances/fast, for long periods of time, or after a few high rpm accelerations it makes a weird sound. It doesn't make this sound after shutting the car off for only being on for a few minutes. When this sound is made it vibrates the car and is louder than it sounds in the video. It sounds like something rattling in a can? I have the video on youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u94e2FmXzt0 ). The sound is made right at the 24/25 second mark. The fans are still running throughout the end of the video.
Asteroidgalaxy

Here's another video with the camera on the drivers side door. Right at the two second mark is when the engine is turned off. Between two to four seconds into the video. There's a grinding sound heard and then a pop.

Asteroidgalaxy
Attached is another video from the drivers side door outside the car. Exactly at the two second mark is when the engine is cutoff. Two to four seconds into the video there's the kind of grinding sound followed by a pop.

Asteroidgalaxy
Here's another video with the camera on the drivers side door. Right at the two second mark is when the engine is turned off. Between two to four seconds into the video...there's a grinding sound heard and then a pop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxdqjqqgYmg).

Asteroidgalaxy
The shifting issue could be an improperly adjusted kickdown mechanism or vacuum actuator on the trans.
The popping sound is quite evident, but next to impossible to identify. The other sound I'm hearing is dieseling. Check the timing and run some fuel system cleaner through it. You might also try using a higher octane fuel.

Rivermikerat
In the first video, at the 24/25 second mark, I hear the engine diesel, or run-on. This is normally caused by either spark plugs that are too hot for the engine, low octane fuel or improperly set timing.

Rivermikerat
It was either 10.3: 1 or 10.8: 1 compression, but I've been running 93 octane.

Asteroidgalaxy
An excessive high idle will cause the dieseling, and the sound I hear sound like a "Spit" back thru the exhaust. Not quite a backfire, My CJ 5 does that every once in a while, when he's cold, I call it a hiccup!

Might just be me, and my interpretation though!

The Medic

If you're running 93, then you need to check your timing.

Rivermikerat