LOUD WHINE/WHISTLE WHEN THE CAR IS IN PARK/NEUTRAL GOES AWAY WHEN IN DRIVE/REVERSE

1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo • V8 2WD Automatic • 2,819 miles

My car all of a sudden is giving a loud whine/whistle when it is in park/neutral. It immediately goes away when placing the car in drive/reverse. The sound gets louder as the RPMs go up.
Asteroidgalaxy

The noise starts about two minutes after the car is running and warmed up. It'll continue (at least 15 min I kept it in park and running) until the car is in drive at which point it immediately goes away.

Asteroidgalaxy
It's not the fans because the fans don't kick on until it gets 180 (about 10 minutes). It'll do this fast high pitched sound for about 5 minutes without the fans running.

Asteroidgalaxy
This is video/audio of the sound without the fans running. This sound started all of sudden. I went weeks without starting the car. I started the car last evening and it ran fine, but I didn't drive it. The second time I started it to actually drive/move the car...it did this and it's been doing it all evening. Below's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I5Y_WGg_H4

Asteroidgalaxy
The noise from the video is not very distinctive but based on symptom description, it is most likely a fault with the torque converter/transmission.

It is not possible to diagnose noises over the net and I would sugggest getting a transmission specialist to have a lok at it first.