BMW 635 SMOKE PROBLEM

1986 BMW 635 • 200,000 miles

In beggining car accelerates and ride smoothes, after about 15 miles or so when I turn it back on and try to head back home, it does not want to shift and seems to stay in 1st or 2nd gear. When I finally get back home I notice burning smell coming from around L front area along with smoke. No clue what it could be. One youtube video about some other car is talking about a modulator valve.I should check that maybe

It just happened again. When I went to my college (arrived smoothly) and then 2hrs later after I came back to car, you could tell it was having a little trouble shifting. When I was approximately 3 miles from home, it decided to stay in 1st gear and I smelled and I saw smoke coming from L side.

When I am driving the last three miles, I can only go 30mph and luckily arrive safely home.

See your vehicles' service provider straightaway. There may be a fire issue w/ the smoke.

Dr. Hagerty