, NO START, WHIZ/WHIRRING?

1985 Toyota Pickup • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 224 miles

When I try to start my engine(1985 Toyota Pickup, 2WD Base Model 2.4L), I get a loud somewhat high pitched whirring/whizzing sound. It does not start. I'm told it's my starter, but what about my starter? Do I need to buy a rebuild kit, a new starter altogether, or new starter-to-battery cable? Thanks in advance.
AJarrah

All depends on what's wrong with it. There could be worn teeth on the ring gear, a defective over-running clutch / drive gear, or more commonly, rust buildup on the starter drive's shaft. That rust, or gunked up hardened grease can stop the drive gear from fully engaging the ring gear.

If there's worn teeth on the ring gear, turning the engine a little by hand will get it to crank.

I have two starters, one completely stopped working altogether, and am interested in seeing about fixing it. If I were to take a picture of the inside of it, would it be possible to find the problem?

AJarrah
You can try posting photos but it's hard to perform tests and come up with a diagnosis by just looking at something.