HESITANT/INTERMITTENT ACCELERATION

1985 Toyota Pickup • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 224 miles

My Toyota is starting to not accelerate when I push the gas, sometimes it just hesitates but other times it completely dies and I have to restart the engine. I bought a new fuel filter today in hopes that might be the problem, but what other possibilities are there? It usually has a slow crank first thing in the morning, and I took pictures of a very odd looking thing that is close to my carburetor that might have something to do with it. I don't know what it is, so let me know if you know what it is and if it has anything to do with this please.

And if you do believe it's the fuel filter as I do, could you give me some insight on how to relieve the pressure in the fuel lines so that I can swap it out without a huge fuel mess? Thanks in advance for any help.
AJarrah

Replace the aircleaner snorkel tube its purpose is to preheat the A/F mix, also check the choke adjustment

Engine is carburetted so there is no neccessity to relieve fuel pressure when replacing the fuel filter.

Non acceleration is not caused by the fuel filter. You need to check the carb accelerating pump ( inside carb) and also the spark plugs and related components.