85 HAS POWER TO COIL BUT NOT FIRE AT PLUGS.

1985 Plymouth Reliant • 102,000 miles

Will not start after shutting it off one night
57chero

Which engine?

Check the coil wire that goes to the dist. Is power going to wire when cranking

Cadieman
It has 12 on the positive side, are you talking about the negative wire? Yes it does, it was flashing like it was breaking up nd now is just on all the time the ignition is on. The 3 leads coming from the distributor have zip nadda in them.

57chero
It is a 2.2, runs great when it runs lol.

57chero
It has a 2.2 4 banger / auto trans. Where is the ECM module and what does it look like. Never had a plymouth before, am a ford guy usually.

57chero
The Engine Computer sits on the left inner fender beside the battery, and has an extremely low failure rate. The most commonly failed item for the 2.2L / 2.5L is the Hall Effect pickup assembly in the distributor, under the rotor. Many people carry a spare in the glove box. They often fail when warm and work again when the engine cools down. Takes just a few minutes to replace it.

Now that is some good information, thanks : ). Every car or truck always has something that more commonly breaks or goes out and that is exactly what I wanted to know. Also am happy to know that ECM is not one of the common ones to crap out lol. A difference of say $175.00, as opposed to 35.00 : ). Thanks, I will replace it today and see how it goes. : )

57chero
Thanks a million, that is what the problem was. I got one off a turbo engine but had 2 pickups on it so I just ground one off and it fired right up : ).

57chero
All right. One in a row! Happy to hear you can buzz off, ... Ahh, ... I mean SAIL off into the sunset.

Hahaha, Guess that would be drive off into the sunset as there isn't much water out here in the desert : ). But seriously, thanks again : )

57chero