MAZDA 323 ENGINE PROBLEM

1985 Mazda 323 • 430,000 miles

Hie I have a 1985 mazda 323 with an E3 engine 1.3litre, the timming chain was worn and I orderd a full timing chain kit, after I done all that job and set the timming it starts but idles at high speed, overheats and producing a whistle sound. Please help if I missed something or my timming is not correct. Thank you.
Johan Lupps

You would need to recheck the timing marks tpo be sure but the histle sound indicates there is a possible vacuum leak whcich can cause high idling speed. Overheating is anothing. Did you check the coolant level? Are the cooling fans working?

Thank you the cooling fan is working and I checked timing is correct, the histling sound comes when I plugged a hose from the air filter to the top cover. And my coil gets very hot when driving or it can be wrong wire connection. Thanks a lot

Johan Lupps
The air hose is for the PCV and you cannot plug it as it would result in excessive back pressure in the crankcase ventilation sysstem.

When you mean overheating, is it the engine or the coils? Ignition coils do work at a certain temperature.

An engine is the one which goes high in temperature. I unpluged that air hose and the histling sound disappeared but the idling is still high and I dont know where I can set it.

If you say coils do work at a certain temperature. You helped me a lot because some guys told me that coil must remain cold when a motor is running.

Thank you.

Johan Lupps
Do you have coolant losses?
When does the overheating occurs?
The whistling noise should be from the PCV. Have it replaced.
Ensure the throttle is closed fully.