TRANSMISSION EXCEPTING NO GEARS

1985 Jaguar XJS • 86,000 miles

I just rebuilt the tranny, because I was only getting reverse.
now I can't get any gears to except.I'm Machanically inclined and not my first tranny rebuild, but i'm stump on not getting any gears.
i'm looking for things I could have over looked. No gears at all is odd to me.
Kfernandes

Have you checked to see what the transmission line pressure is?Thats the first thing I always check.

I just diconnected the line to see if there was any pressure at all. The one thing that was different in the parts that was changed was the vaccume modulator, the original one was pretty big in comparison to the new one that was sent, I was told that it would be a propblem. Could that be the culprit?

Kfernandes
I dont have a pressure gauge for a line, but there was plenty fluid coming out when I disconnected the line, and I checked both lines.

Kfernandes
We could have enough pressure to squirt fluid all over doesnt mean there is enough to go into gear. The first thing I would check is the actual fluid pressure.I would have checked that even before rebuilding the transmission.

What tool would I need to check the fluid pressure?
And the clutches in the two packs were fully burned out. Clutches were down to metal.

Kfernandes
Ok, so I will check fluid pressure, what should it read?
If thats turns out to be ok, what would be a "checklist" of things to check before coming back with more questions?

Kfernandes
The clutches could have burned up from low pressure especially since you said all the clutches burned up. There is always a reason why the clutches burn up. You would need a transmission pressure tester kit I bought a nice one from amazon and it was 50 something when I bought it.I will look up the pressures for you.

Ok, do you know what the pressure should read?

Kfernandes
I posted all the info on how to do the pressure test and where to screw the pressure tester in. Let me know what you find.