I HAVE A 85 THAT WILL START IN THE MORNING ONLY AFTER THAT USUALLY WILL NEED TO USE STARTING FLUID, COULD IT BE THE BAD FLOAT IN THE CARB??

1985 Honda Civic • 175,000 miles

When it runs good it runs great! Then all of a suddend.2 things, it will not keep an Idol and if I go through a Intersection that has a dip to fast it will start to bogg out, hesitate, possible stall if I dont keep it at higher RPMs.
Changed the pluds, wires, cap n Rotor, fuel pump. I check the EGR Vaulve, it seems to be functioning. I due notice Vapor build up when I remove the gas tank but to remidy that I drove with cap off, it still will buck and bogg, I am at a total loss! It doesnt smoke, burn oil, nothing its in sound shape, PLEASE HELP!
Civichater

That probably has an idle solenoid on throttle arm. Make sure it's working.

Fixitmr
Hows gas mileage? Good /bad?

Fixitmr
Gas Mileage is good, its a carb so I think maybe the the float in the carb is acting up? Does a carb have a idle solenoid

Civichater
Like I said it would be on throttle arm on side of carb. As far as cold start is the choke working? Some crabs have float level glass small round window that gas should be at half level.

Fixitmr
I would suspect other carb issues besides float. It's an old carb and any rubber parts are suspect internal or external.

Fixitmr
I am ordering a ERG valve, the one on there looks original, I manually tested it and it seems to function but then again so does the car. But then out of nowhere the car has no idle, wants to stall at stops, hesitaites, looses power, pings and knocks then if I let it sit it will drive fine for a short period of time and repeat the proccess all over again. From what I have seen a semi bad EGR valve will give these problems by not opening at the correct time or sticking for a while

Civichater
Worth a try.

Fixitmr
Wow, thats your exspert response? I was really hoping to resolve this using your help and willing to donate if successful, being I have no real faith in machanics at all anymore unless I need air in my tire But I will change out the EGR valve and also take a look at your recomendations as well and let you know who was the exspert in this matter

Civichater
Just checked the manual, like I thought, your theory for the Idol solenoid is for fuel injected! I have just a Carb!

Civichater
Clean and re build the carby with an overhaul kit, ensure that the float level is set correctly and that the fuel pressure is with in specs.

Mhpautos