I'M HAVING TROUBLE WITH MY STARTER IT STARTED GRINDING THOUGHT THE STARTER WAS BAD?

1985 Ford LTD • 80,000 miles

On my 1985 ford ltd v6 im wondering if they is suppose to be shims on the starter I'm having trouble with the grinding. So I replaced it the grinding still never went away is there suppose to be shims on the starter?
Nicholas1213

If the problem started with the old starter, chances are there are no shims. Check to make sure the flywheel teeth are in good condition. You may have a bad spot on it. Also, make sure the flywheel is tight as well as the starter.

I have check both the flywheel and starter when they was on to make sure they was tight. It gives me like one or two turns then starts grinding. Im not sure if there is suppose to be shims on it or not?

Nicholas1213
But if it was the origanal starter and I bought a new one it might take shims because it could be universal?

Nicholas1213
It wouldn't be universal. It has to be designed for your vehicle. Were you able to check the entire flywheel for wear?

Ya it has metal shavings inside of the cas on the trans. I think they was transmisson problems with the car before they had the tranny out do you think they could have bent it puttting it back in?

Nicholas1213
That is very possible. However, it would most likely cause a vibration when the engine is running.

Ok I just got done putting the starter back on with the shim it sounds amazing but I think the starter looses itself back up because after I drove it around it started grinding again when I went to start it? How would I fix the problem?

Nicholas1213