MY 85 VETTE JUST DIED & WILL NOT START.....THE COMPUTER IS GIVING A CODE 34 FOR A MAP SENSOR BUT I CANT SEEM TO FIND ONE ON THE CAR

1985 Chevrolet Corvette • 86,000 miles

Noticed the car making a poping sound through the exhuast sounded like a timing issue. Then it smoothed out & ran fine? The next day took it for a drive took off from a stoplight & it just fell on its nose had to keep pumping the gas pedal just to try to keep it running. No power at all. Now it just wont start at all? The computor is throwing a code 34 for a map sensor but I cant find one on the car anywhere? I am getting gas & fire. Could it possibly be the maf sensor? & Would the maf sensor make it not start? Thanks for your time & Have a great day!
Gregory Clum

The MAF should be in the air induction tube between the air filter box and the intake. Yes, it can cause this. Also, if that doesn't fix it, check fuel pump pressure. Make sure it is within spec.

Manifold Absolute Temp. SensorOn right rear of engine.
Mass Airflow SensorAt front of engine, ahead of throttle body

Do below and check what's missing.

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

Thanks a lot for the info. It will be a couple weeks before I can get a new maf sensor. I called the Chevrolet Parts Dept. Here in my town & they want $1,167.00 for a new one. Also called Auto zone they stock it for $122.99? Thats a heck of a price cut.I bet you dont know what one I will be buying! Lol Thanks Again & Have a great day!

Gregory Clum
That is a big difference. I know which one I would be getting. (Lol)