TOYOTA COROLLA FUSE PROBLEM

1984 Toyota Corolla • 260 miles

Wipers, lights, heater fan and instrument cluster went out. What would be the most obvious cause fuse or fuse box wise?
Mikelaco

Check the fuses at the fuse box with a test light for voltage. If the voltage is good at the fuse box Also check the wiper connector for power with the wipers on. Test the lights at the connectors also for voltage.

Cadieman
Fuses good. Fuse box has good voltage. Components (wipers signals lights heater fan dash gauges) all will return to normal and then shut down at will. Is there a common connection point or component that would affect all of these at the same time? I thought it was the fuse box on the driver side, but all checks out well. Possibly the combo switch in the steering wheel or even the ignition switch? Whatever it is, the one thing is shutting everything down.

Mikelaco
This sounds like you have a connector going open. Follow the steering column wiring to the firewall there is a connector there. Try wiggling the wiring going to that connector that goes through the firewall to see if you can duplicate the problem. Then go out under the hood find the connector and wiggled the harness. There is a nut on the connector. Tighten the nut up. All of these circuits go through that connector. Open circuits are very hard to duplicate. But this is where I would start.

Cadieman