FORD LASER CLUTCH PROBLEM

1984 Ford Laser • 100,000 miles

How to r&r clutch
MrNoddy

I DON'T MEAN TO BE SORTA BLUNT

CHANGING A CLUTCH IS AN INVOLVED TASK

USUALLY WHEN STUFF GET POSTED ON HERE FOR A SERIOUSLY INVOLVED FEAT SUCH AS THIS---THE INFO IS THERE---BUT THE SO MANY "SUB TASKS" ARE NOT LISTED / TORQUE SPECS AND CERTAIN "KEY" NOTES/ CAUTIONS AND MANY OTHER THINGS ARE JUST PLAIN "LEFT OUT"A REAL MECHANIC MIGHT UNDERSTAND IT AND FROM EXPERIENCE, BE ABLE TO DO IT.

I MYSELF AM A DIYer FROM, LET'S SAY, BIRTH ON!........ON VEHICLES AND TRACTORS AND SUCH STUFF....WE'LL SAY FROM 8TH GRADE ON----I REALLY GOT INTO IT, WHEN I WAS ALLOWED ON THE ROAD, IN 1981

I'M BIG-TIME INTO "REAL JEEPS" MOSTLY FROM 1941--1986......BUT I DO WELL WITH KEEPING UP WITH MY FAMILY'S MORE MODERN RIGS.....AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION IS SORTA WHERE I STOP.......I AIN'T FIGGERED OUT HOW THEY CAN CRAM 4 BILLION PARTS INTO A SMALL CASE AND THEY WORK IN UNISON

THIS HAS BEEN MY CRUTCH ON SO MANY VEHICLES---MY PICS REFLECT ABOUT 1/4 OF WHAT I HAVE ACQUIRED OVER THE YEARS AS FAR AS LITERATURE

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

IF YOU ARE GONNA KEEP THE VEHICLE OR WHOEVER IT BELONGS TO IS---THIS IS THE WISEST INVESTMENT YOU CAN MAKE ---ABOUT $25-$30.......NORMALLY NOTHING IS LEFT OUT, TASKS YOU NEED TO KNOW ARE JUST A FEW CHAPTERS AWAY

................AND YES, SOMETIMES YOU GOTTA FIND SOMEONE TO INTERPRET SOME OF THE STUFF IN 'EM, FOR YOU

PRESENTLY, RIGHT NOW IN MY 2 CAR GARAGEWIFEY IS NOT HAPPY, 'CAUSE I HAVE HER SIDE TAKEN UP WITH MY STUFF----I AM INSTALLING THE CLUTCH IN MY 1946 WILLYS JEEP, "WILLY" (FOR THE 2ND TIME...I DID THIS 20 YEARS AGO TOO, WHEN I WAS RESTORING IT FROM THE GROUND UP)

THE ONLY THING THAT WENT WRONG IS THE THROW OUT BEARING IS NOT A BEARING ANYMORE---I FIGGERED I'D DO IT ALL, WHILE I HAVE IT TORN DOWN THIS FAR..........EVEN THOUGH I DRIVE WILLY A LOT, JUST LOOKS LIKE THAT DANG THROW OUT WOULDA LASTED MORE THAN 20 YEARS........HE IS ONLY 65 YEARS YOUNG???

EVEN THOUGH I HAVE DONE THIS MANY TIMES IN MY PREVIOUS JEEPS AND HELPING OTHERS WITH THEIRSI CAN SORTA SKIP AROUND THROUGH EXPERIENCE, SORTA KNOW A LOT OF WHAT TO DO.......I STILL USE MY MANUALS TO INSURE IT IS PERFECT!.......THERE'S 2 OF 'EM ON THE TABLE OUT THERE NOW!

THESE PICS WERE MADE JUST AFTER I TORE INTO IT---CLEANING/ PAINTING/ ORDERING PARTS AND FINDING SUPER DISCOUNTS FOR THEM/ MACHINING (SURFACING ) THE FLYWHEEL/ INSTALLING A NEW STARTER RING/ INSTALLING A NEW SEAL IN THE FRONT OF THE TRANNY AS WELL AS BOTH SEALS FOR THE OUTPUT SHAFTS ON THE TRANSFER CASE/ AND A FEW OTHER THINGSHAS HAD HIM ON JACKSTANDS FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS

XCLUTCH

RIGHT NOW.....I GOTTA INSTALL THE CLUTCH/ BELL HOUSING/ TRANNY AND TRANSFER CASE.........SEEMS LIKE YOUR FRIENDS ALL DISAPPEAR ABOUT THIS TIME IN THE GAME?

I DO TAKE A LOT OF PICS WHEN I FIX STUFF----IF YOU WILL EXPLORE THE CJ 5 & CJ 7 FORUMS IN HERE---YOU WILL SEE I SORTA GET CARRIED AWAY HELPIN' THE CJ GUYS AND GALS---I POST A WHOLE LOT OF PICS TO AID THEM

...................MAYBE A CJ SHOULD BE YOUR NEXT RIDE?........THEY ARE SO COOL, EZ TO MAINTAIN, AND YOU COULD ALWAYS ASK FOR ME IF YOU HAD A PROBLEM!..................1981 ON---6 CJ 5s AND 1 WILLYS.....HONESTLY, I HAVE NEVER OWNED ANYTHING ELSE!

ANY THOUGHTS....OTHER THAN I DID NOT GIVE YOU THE ANSWER YOU WANTED.....I MAY BE ABLE TO ASSIST ON PARTS YOU NEED (SAVE $$$)......I WOULD NEED ENGINE SIZE AND ANY SPECIFICS OF THE VEHICLE

THIS ENTIRE UNDERTAKING HAS ONLY COST ME ABOUT (GIVE OR TAKE) $180......REMEMBER ALL OF THE EXTRA I'M DOING NOT JUST THE CLUTCH

HERE'S SOME MOREI WILL BE TAKING MORE PICS AS IT PROGRESS'