FUEL NOT GETTING TO COLD START VALVE

1984 BMW 318i • 4 cylinder 2WD Manual • 158,000 miles

My friend is trying to fix daughters car. It slowed down and stopped, restarted and stopped a few times and then dead. After testing he replaced fuel pump relay and fuel came through line. He put new plugs rotor, cap, wires in and now fuel won't come to cold start valve, he made a jumper where relay plugs in and plenty of fuel comes through. Shoot starting fluid into cold start valve and engine runs a couple seconds, but new or old relay won't pump fuel, only the jumper will. He tested all the things the shop manual says to do. Is there a short or? I'm just the in between for asking questions, just trying to help daughter.
Carlton

The 1984 318 has a special relay for the fuel pump, there is a possibility that the circuit inside that relay is not doing its job. I am at present unable to find the part number for that relay, can you see if it is on that relay and if it is plese send it to me.

Dr. Hagerty
The car is over at friends, I bought a new fuel pump relay a week ago [right part#] and it worked. Now after tune up and back together, neither old or new pump fuel to cold start valve only the jumper does. We're not sure if the plug in part is interment? I can get the part number tomorrow and if any questions to ask friend, let me know. He's has wireing diagram also and is getting frustrated! Thanks for responce. Carlton

Carlton
I will be standing by.

Dr. Hagerty
Dr. Hagerty
The fuel pump relay part # is 1R1898 Thanks, Carlton

Carlton
The BMW part number will have 11 digits, usually 13-xx-x-xxx-xxx

Dr. Hagerty
I found the sales slip and the number is 13031276264

Carlton
My database has gone insane (which means the regular computer I use crashed the hard drive and I am in the process of cloning it) That relay could be side stepped to get the car running again, send an Email address so I can send a diagram of the circuit and how we might get around spending $$$$$$$$$

Dr. Hagerty
Today my friend heard clicking in old and new relays and now thinks they may be ok and thinking it maybe in wiring or to ignition switch? Carlewinston@msn. Com

Carlton
Ok

Dr. Hagerty