DODGE SHADOW STARTER PROBLEM

1983 Dodge Shadow • 148,201 miles

Hi its Jason again on my 93 dodge shadow everything was running fine. This morning I dropped my girlfriend off at work and came home time for me to go get her. When I put my key in the Ingnition tryed to crank it nothing everything comes on but not cranking I bought a new Ignition and switch($114)and still nothing what can this be(the starter) you helped me with my brake light wiring problem and it was my socket thank you I really need this car and Im trying to fix it myself if not I gotta take to a shop

See if the little wire on the starter solenoid has power with the ignition switch in the on position

Thank you will I have to remove the starter to test it how will I know power if power is going threw? (What sign to look for)

Jay103
YOU CAN USE A TEST LIGHT OR A VOLTMETER (1ST 2 PICS ARE EXAMPLES OF USING THEM---BUT NOT HOW YOU WILL USE THEM!)

THERE ARE OTHER THINGS ALONG THE WAY THAT MIGHT CAUSE "NO POWER" AT THE LITTLE WIRE

I'D SAY THE BESTUS WAY TO PERFORM THE TEST WOULD BE TO ATTACH A JUMPER WIRE (ALLIGATOR CLIP TYPE) TO THE LITTLE WIRE ON THE STARTER AND ROUTE THE OTHER END "UP TOP" WHERE YOU CAN USE THE CHEAP TEST LIGHT OR THE VOLTMETER

KEEP IN MIND---EVERYTHING IS STILL HOOKED UP---THE STARTER COULD ENGAGE---WATCH OUT FOR THOSE PESKY MOVING ENGINE PARTS

1) ATTACH WHICHEVER YOU USE (BLACK LEAD OR GROUND) TO THE NEG BATTERY POST

2) AND THE RED LEAD OR TIP OF THE TEST LIGHT TO THE "JUMPER WIRE" YOU RAN UP TOP

3) HAVE SOMEONE TURN THE KEY TO "START"

4) THE LITTLE WIRE (GOING THRU THE JUMPER) SHOULD SHOW 12 VOLTS OR THE TEST LIGHT LIGHT UP

IF THERE IS POWER---YOUR LITTLE WIRE IS NOT HOOKED UP CORRECTLY----YOUR STARTER COMPONENTS MAY BE BAD---STARTER GROUNDS MAY BE LACKING

IF IT DOES NOT LIGHT UP OR SHOW VOLTSTHERE IS A PROBLEM FROM THE LITTLE WIRE, BACK TOWARDS THE KEY

LET US KNOW

WE MAY CAN GET A DIAGRAM FOR THAT CIRCUIT THAT MAY SHOW EVERYTHING THE "SIGNAL" MUST TRAVEL THRU. THIS MAY SHOW YOU WHERE TO TEST NEXT

I BOUGHT ONE OF THEM SHADOWS FOR $300--DID A LITTLE WORK---'BOUT ANOTHER $100---TO INCLUDE A WALMART $0.99 A CAN SPRAY BOMB PAINT JOB ON THE HOOD/ TOP/ TRUNK (WET SANDING AND POLISHING COMPOUND BETWEEN COATS)

SEE November 21, 2011 IN THIS LINK!THE REST OF IT IS ABOUT/ FOR A JEEP CJ FELLER

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1978-jeep-cj7-need-help-getting-started-start-on-troubleshooting/page/8

KEEP US POSTED