CHEVROLET TRUCK COMPRESSION PROBLEM

1983 Chevrolet Truck

I pulled the distribuator, checked gears, then went to put it back. Changed coil, put new moduale, had roto poited at no 1 and did plugs to fireing order. Still wont start and pufs smoke out of carb. What did I miss.
Trucker666

That means either the timing or the firing order is wrong.

Wrenchtech
Fireing order is what was on the motor. Dose rotor have to point to no1.

Trucker666
Did you have #1 cylinder on tdc of compression stroke before you pulled the distributor? Put the #1 cylinder on tdc, look to see where the rotor is pointing. If you can blow air into number 1 cylinder, its not on tdc or something else is wrong? You can use a fuel line hose that will fit snuggly in the spark plug hole, try to blow air into cylinder. There are other ways to check that.

Hello guys, didnt mean to butt in, Im a slow typer.

Set timing line with marks on balacer. Thought that was tdc

Trucker666
Blow into the cylinder? Never heard of that one but it sounds like a great idea

LOL

Ok blow air with compressor or mouth. Never heard that one but will try. Just put a hose into the hole and if u can blow air its not tdc. Right

Trucker666
How about telling us what engine you have here?

Wrenchtech
Ok its a 305. When I pulled the distribuator out I did not have it on tdc. Then I found tdc put dist. Back in with rotor pointing at no1. Still nothing. Then changed coil, nothing then replaced module, nothing. All it dose is turn over and puffs out of the carb. Could it b out by 180?

Trucker666
Sure it could be if you didn't make sure it was TDC on the compression stroke. Most people just hold their finger over the spark plug hole while rotating the engine and you will feel the compression when you're approaching #1 TDC.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/Wrenchtech/41923694.gif

Wrenchtech