CJ7 PLAY IN STEERING

1983 AMC Other • 6 cylinder 4WD Manual • 167 miles

I have an 83 jeep CJ7 and there is play in the steering. I have tried everything to get rid of it. I have 32's in tires on it and I am not sure if thats the problem.

i tried changing the steering Box and I still have the problem. When I drive it. The play makes it difficult to drive. There is approximately 2inches of play in the steering without the tires moving. Any ideas?
Johnk

You just need to have someone work the play back and forth while you examine to determine which component isn't responding to the movement. The play could be anywhere in the steering linkage.

Wrenchtech
Johnk,

Click on me, send me your E-mail Address in "Messages"---'stead of broadcasting it to the world on this post.

I can send you a Walmart Album of how I replaced my Steering gear. And a little trick to take some of the play out, not in the gear itself.

You DO NOT WANT TO ADJUST THE NUT ON TOP!

It is for initial NEW set-up!

If you turn it in too much/ or at all.

YOU RISK LOCKING IT UP--YOU WILL FIGURE THAT OUT AT 55MPH, WHEN IT WILL NOT TURN!

See you in messages

The Medic

Still There, Fellow Jeep Guy?

The Medic

Sent you a message, go to the top, click on your name, messages center link will be on the left

The Medic