FRONT BRAKES ARE TOUCHY AND LOCK UP SOMETIMES?

1982 Toyota Pickup • 160,000 miles

My question is, a 1982 toyota 1 ton odyssey, brake problem, front brakes are touchy and lock up sometimes after warming up what could cause this?

I have a 1982 Toyota 1 Ton Rv. I have replaced the master cylinder 3 times, I have cleaned up the proportion valve inside and out( it looks Ok), I have replaced the front disk pads twice, I have replaced the rear wheel cylinders, I have also adjusted the rear shoes both sides, I have replaced 1 caliper drivers side, I have changed brake fluid 2 or 3 times lost track. I have been getting iffy rebuilds from the parts store, hard to tell what is good and what isn't. Still the brakes are touchy up front, and when warm

( after I drive for 10 min.) Front brakes lock up. What could be causing it, I have pretty much gone through everything and I still am at a loss. Every thing is new except for 1 caliper and the proportion valve.
1woodmonger

Did you check the brake pedal to booster push rod clearance? If the push rod is adjusted incorrectly without and free, the master cylinder would be partially working all the time and this would result in brakes locking up when fluids are heated.

I did that, but it doesn't help, Do you know if there are two different types of brake pads for this vehicle the pads I have are part number 04465-35160. I was thinking that maybe I was given the wrong pads. Or do you have any other suggestions.

1woodmonger
When brakes locks up, try cracking the lines at master cylinder to see if frees up the wheels. If yes, the problem is at master cylinder. If the brakes do not release, move on to the next joint in line pressure and crack the line. Continue till the location that frees up the brakes is found and that is what you should be looking at.

I don't think the brake pads has anything to do with the brakes locking up though overheating might be possible if the pads are too tight and cannot move easily.

Is vehicle equipped with load sensing proportioning control valve?