AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SHIFTER SEEMS LOOSE

1982 Jeep CJ7 • 170,000 miles

When putting it in gear it dont really feel like its in the slot it is really loose and almost moves freely. Is there a way to tighten this up?
Dmcagle

You need to check for worn bushes and linkages. If any are worn or damaged, replacing them should solve the problem.

I just got a tranny rebuild would it be on the trans or will it be in the steering column

Dmcagle
If problem was not there prior to trans rebuild, it should be at trans side. You need to check to confirm.

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SLIPPED BY ME!

I'M GONNA SQUARE YOU AWAY!

I DON'T KNOW WHETHER THIS IS NORMAL 30 YEAR WEAR OR POSSIBLE H. ELL DAMAGE

I MOSTLY MESS WITH CJs W/ STANDARD TRANSMISSIONS. BUT I CAN STEER YOU TOWARDS STUFF THAT MAY HELP YOU.I CAN ALSO HELP YOU WITH OTHER STUFF TOO. JUST ASK!

OK HERE'S THE DEAL

----A FACTORY MANUAL (SOME DISTORTIONS FROM BEING SCANNED). THIS IS THE BEST MANUAL YOU CAN USE

INSTALL "JEEP CJ 7"

THEN "1982"

THEN CHASSIS-STEERING COLUMNS (4,076KB)

DEPENDING ON WHERE THE SLOP IS---YOU MAY NEED A PIN---A BEARING--MAYBE THE WHOLE COLLAR--ETC.

SOMETIMES YOU CAN DRILL THE PIVOT HOLE A LITTLE LARGER TO MAKE IT A "PERFECT CIRCLE" AGAIN, THEN USE A LARGER PIN IN THE NEW HOLE

LOOKIN' THRU IMAGES SOMETIMES HELPS YOU FIND WHAT YOU NEED

WHAT ENGINE YOU GOT. TRAC-LOC?

WHAT WAS WRONG, THAT REQUIRED THE REBUILDING?

PICS ARE NICE FOR US TO GO BY + WE LIKE TO SEE WHAT WE'RE WORKING ON. ANY MORE QUESTIONS. KEEP ASKING AT THIS POST