FORD F-600 FUEL PRESSURE PROBLEM

1982 Ford F-600 • 100,000 miles

The truck has a 370 in it, new carb. It runs out pretty good it just has some backfiring in the intake and occasionally a big backfire from the exhaust. I'm trying to check the timing but I don't have the specs. Should it be timed at 10 degrees? Also, what is the air/fuel mixture or a good starting point? Both are at 1 1/2 turns out right now, should it be less?
Xsqizit

Ok, timing is about right. Calls for 8 degrees but 10 is good considering the age.

Start with 3 turns out on each and then move them in and out till it runs smooth.

IF YOUR IDLE IS NOT WITHIN SPECS WHEN YOU TIME IT, THE TIMING MAY BE OFF----AS WELL AS IF YOU DID NOT REMOVE THE VACUUM ADVANCE AND PLUG IT OFF (THE VACUUM LINE) FOR THE TIMING PROCEDURE, IT MAY STILL BE OFF.

THIS IS A POST FROM A WHILE BACKI DO GET MY POINT ACROSS----BUT I'M SURE I CAN GET VERY CONFUSING (I RECKON I ASSUME THE OTHER GUY IS ON THE SAME PAGE WITH ME ALL OF THE TIME)--- I TRY TO HELP THE CJ GUYS WITH ALL THE INFO I CAN, 'CAUSE I'M ONE OF 'EM!

THIS IS ABOUT TIMING----TIMING HIS V-8---BY SHOWING MY INLINE 6.......HE SEEMED TO HAVE CAUGHT ON!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1980-jeep-cj7-timingtuning-problem-with-a/page/2

THIS IS THE SAME POST---PAGES DOWN (PAGE 7)----ANOTHER CONFUSING NOVEL ON CARB ADJUSTINGAT THIS POINT WE HAVE ALREADY COVERED HE HAS NO VACUUM LEAKS

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1980-jeep-cj7-timingtuning-problem-with-a/page/7

MAYBE SOMETHING IN THERE WILL AID YOU SOMEHOW OR ANOTHER

Happy Thanksgiving Day

Well I finally got the timing set and it is between 0 and 10, within spec I believe. It is still popping when I give it gas and then it shot fire out the carb! Anyways, I see that the accelerator pump arm is on the top setting, would this make it get too much fuel causing it to pop?

It is an Autoline C8170 and when I go to the website to see the carb it shows the arm in the second hole. Seems to me the lower the arm should make it shoot less fuel on acceleration and should stop the pop!

What do you guys think?

Ray

Xsqizit
Look down the carb throat and pull back on the throttle half way-do you see the accelerator pump squirting fuel out-if not check the plunger on it

The accelerator pump creates two perfect streams in carb, it seems to be getting too much fuel from it making it pop inside carb. Like it can't burn all the fuel it gets.

Xsqizit
The main metering and power valve could be leaking causing it to run rich-investigate-sounds like time to rebuild the carb or replaced-

The carb is only a few months old, although water leaked through the hood and got in the engine via the carb, which in turn rusted the butterflies and pretty much damaged the carb. So I took it apart cleaned and rebuilt it. So everything in it is brand new.

Should I do it again? I don't mind buying the $25 rebuild kit if you don't think it's the accelerator pump.

Xsqizit
Is the fuel pressure correct and did you adjust the float properly as specified-

Fuel pressure is good, not sure on the float I didn't do anything to it other than remove, clean then installed the same way it was in.

Xsqizit