STARTING ISSUE

1982 Daihatsu Charade • 70,000 miles

You say that if you have a start problem, what you can do is to check for Internal Engine Damage - If your engine has had a major malfunction it will not turn over. To check for this condition install a socket wrench on the front crankshaft bolt, then try to rotate. The engine will turn with a certain degree of difficulty but it should rotate a full 360 degrees (clockwise). If the engine doesn't turn disassembly is required, repair as needed and reassemble. My question: if you have to rotate the front crankshaft bolt, do you have to rotate it clockwise? Or anticlockwise (meaning unscrewing the bolt?). If it is clockwise, then I assume that the bolt does rotate alone and at a certain point it does the crankshaft rotating? Thank you!
DeloreanG10

The bolt is tightened to the crankshaft and whatever degrees the bolt turns, the crankshaft should follow likewise.

Crankshaft can be rotated either way for belt driven cam/crankshaft but never recommended for chain driven engines. It would be preferable to turn the engine clockwise, unless the engine works anti-clockwise, as with most older Honda engines.

Thank you for the answer. I tried to turn the crankshaft manually clockwise, since the crankshaft turns that way, but it is blocked. I took out the belt (the crank and camshaft are driven with a belt). I can rotate the camshaft, but the crankshaft is still blocked, cant remove the belt which covers the crankshaft pulley. Do you know what I have to do now to be able to rotate the crankshaft manually? Is it save to do this without damaging the engine?

Thanks!

DeloreanG10
If the timing belt had jumped tooth, the valves would prevent the pistons to go over the top to make the turn.

Release the rocker arm adjusting bolts and back off till the cam lobes do not contact the rocker arms and retest. If you are not able to turn the crankshaft any further, try turn anticlockwise and if the crankshaft is restricted after some turning angle, you would have to remove the cylinder head to check what is restricting the movement. It could be due to bent valves or somethin getting into the engine.

Was anything done prior to this occurring?

Pistons completely rusted, engine has to be dissambled completely!

DeloreanG10
Engine has to be disambled completely since the pistons are rusted completely.

DeloreanG10
Have the cylinder head checked since the pistons were rusted, meaning the head gasket could possibly be bad resulting in water getting into the engine.