TRANSMISSION

1982 Chevrolet Truck • 6 cylinder Manual • 100 miles

Hey, I have a great old 1982 Chevy with a straight six and four on the floor. I am having trouble getting it to shift, it seems to be catching a lot. It doesn't appear to be the clutch. So I am thinking it may be the Transmission. Someone said to ask about the sincro's. Whatever those are. I am a fair mechanic, taught by a master tech from Toyota (my dad) before he died. But I have never worked on a transmission. I have all the regular tools and some specialty ones. Is this something I can take on or should I start saving for a new transmission or a transmission shop.

Jasonlenz3

You will have to use special tooling in the way of pullers if the syncro rings are worn, these are the items that slow the selector ring down to match speeds so you can select gears, change the oil, if there is a lot of brass in the oil the synchros are suspect.

Mhpautos
Okay, I will try that. And if their isn't a lot of brass in the oil?

Jasonlenz3
Try changing the oil, if the synchros are not to bad this can help.

Mhpautos